On 14th February 2017, Owhaoko B&D Trust applied to Heritage NZ to list the old Golden Hills Hut as a heritage building.
The Golden Hills Hut has significant local history stemming from its usage during the late 1800’s and as such needs to be preserved as a historical place of interest for heritage trail walkers, guests of local eco-tourism enterprises and traditional land owners who currently use the area for annual huis.
In these earlier years, the Golden Hills Hut was used as the primary place of shelter in the area as well as being used as a supply store for the stockmen who worked on the full muster for the Ngamatea sheep station (also referred to in earlier days as Owhaoko).
Ngamatea was the largest sheep station in the North Island at that time and the hut is now is still a living example of life for the sheep stockmen who lived and worked during that era.
Its historical value is important to the area and this application is being made to secure its status as a building of significant historical interest to protect it for generations to come.
The full application can be downloaded as three documents:
- Heritage NZ application (2.47MB)
- Application appendix with full notes for each question in the application (979KB)
- Supporting reference documents, maps and photos (7.41MB)
View photos of old Golden Hills Hut in the Gallery (History).